Role: Associate Architect
Reporting to: Senior Architect
Salary: Negotiable based on experience. Experience: 3-5 years professional experience Employment Type: Full Time, 3mo. probation Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX Studio envisions a world made for people and planet by creating the buildings of a radically better tomorrow. We are leading the Design-Build revolution in East Africa by providing exceptional human-centred design solutions, which prioritise environmental performance, functionality and local resources, as well as a trusted, efficient and transparent construction service, working with local people and creating high-quality and affordable buildings.
As Associate Architect, you will be a key part of our Design department. You will be responsible and provide support for the preparation of exceptional architectural designs and the execution of projects on budget, to schedule and meet client expectations. You will also be responsible for providing support across other departments, including the innovation, construction and developer departments.
1. Drive and maintain exceptional standards of performance across all projects assigned to you, in particular against four key pillars: cost, quality, time and people;
2. Creating building designs and highly detailed drawings both by hand and by using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) applications;
3. Work closely and coordinate project designs with the rest of the team, including with external consultants for MEP engineering and specialised works;
4. Develop creative solutions to design problems;
5. Liaise and maintain communications with project clients, professional consultants and any other individuals or groups involved in each project;
6. Support in the preparation of contracts and sub-contracts for all design projects, as well as overseeing contract administration of projects;
7. Mentor, inspire, motivate and supervise Graduate Architects, Interns and Technicians in the team to build their capacity, confidence, and knowledge;
8. Pro-actively embrace and promote BuildX Studio’s company culture and values both internally and externally;
9. Uphold and support BuildX Studio’s social and environmental mission and demonstrate commitment to ensuring impact goals are met across the organisation, including to Buildher (our sister organisation) by advocating for and driving increased female representation across our entire workforce.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities:
• Resourceful, independent, and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure.
• Demonstrable aptitude for clear and prompt decision-making within a challenging environment;
• Leadership skills as well as the ability to work well within a team of other professionals
• Be detail-oriented, collaborative, and proactive in completing work accurately and meeting deadlines;
• Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, including working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
• Strong English-language communication skills, both spoken and written;
• Demonstrate excellent time management and organisational skills, including the ability to work on several projects at once;
• Passionate about social and environmental impact, and empowering women;
• Exceptional design skills, including the ability to think outside of the norm and challenge the status quo.
• An appetite for creativity and entrepreneurship in development of new ideas and out of the box projects;
• An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
Desired Candidate Profile
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture or equivalent and a minimum of 3 years architectural project experience;
• Proficient with Autodesk software programs (Revit & Autocad), Adobe Suite (Indesign, photoshop & illustrator) and MS Office Suite, and an aptitude for learning new software quickly;
More About BuildX Studio
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognize and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever changing end user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.