Reporting to: Senior Designer
Salary: Negotiable based on experience.
Experience: 4+ years professional experience
Employment Type: Full Time, 3mo. probation
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX Studio envisions a world made for people and planet by creating the buildings of a radically better tomorrow.
We are a design-build-develop B Corporation, and we see a world where all buildings are radically better: buildings that are net-zero carbon, more equitably designed, and enhance the quality of life and wellbeing.
We are looking to hire a draftsperson to create and manage project drawings. This is a person with an aptitude for architectural and construction drafting who will work with architects and design engineers to understand the requirements of their initial designs and turn them into accurate and detailed technical drawings in 2D and 3D drawings/models that will be used at all stages of a project.
The ideal candidate should possess solid knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) and Revit software, and the ability to apply the fundamentals of sketching and design. The draftsperson will be someone whose drafting expertise contributes to structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing designs. This is a highly technical role requiring extensive familiarity with design principles and computer-aided drafting technologies to ensure that drawings are accurate and present the necessary information required for all projects.
The candidate will be to go-to person for every drawing from the designers and will be the keeper of all drawings, who sees sketches become drawings that ultimately become construction documents.
- Create high-quality detailed technical drawings and plans based on designs provided by architects and designers;
- Make modifications to existing drawings;
- Liaise with architects, engineers, and designers to understand their design requirements and provide technical advice to produce drawings;
- Create designs in 2D and 3D models using a variety of CAD and Revit software programmes;
- Creating accurate CAD & Revit drawings from hand sketches, verbal instructions, and site visits;
- Develop and set up all templates and files required during the implementation of the Revit software;
- Seamlessly integrating and working with project managers, design consultants, and sub-contractors, to produce accurate, detailed and to scale drawings;
- Thinking creatively and critically to support the project team in the design process, to create sketches and drawings that work;
- Creating and continually updating lists of project drawings;
- Conduct site visits and surveys when required;
- Maintain accurate records and documentation;
- Printing various formats of drawing sets. Systematically saving sketches and drawings on our CAD & Revit servers; keeping the server organized; updating project folders and files as jobs progress and revisions are made;
- Exhaustively reviewing and checking sketches and drawings for errors;
- Organizing and uploading drawings to web-based storage sites/collaboration project sites to share drawings with project stakeholders;
- Create, edit, and update standard details for use in projects;
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities:
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written;
- Demonstrate excellent time management and organizational skills;
- A rigorous details-oriented mindset, thorough in follow up and a methodical approach to work, able to perform complex challenges and unafraid of getting their hands dirty;
- Resourceful, independent, and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure;
- The ability to think critically, innovate, and solve challenging technical problems;
- Effective time management, on-time performance, and ability to make logical decisions;
- Self-driven and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrable aptitude for high-quality work;
- Strong organizational skills with an ordered and disciplined approach to both personal and team document management and reporting;
- A can-do attitude, strong work ethic, ability to handle peak work times and aptitude for design;
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to meet.
Desired Candidate Profile
- Diploma in CAD & Autodesk Revit (BIM) software;
- Outstanding fluency and skill within the AutoCAD and REVIT programs;
- At least 4 years’ experience as a draftsperson with at least 2 years in a CAD and Autodesk Revit (BIM) operator role;
- Excellent numeracy and IT skills;
- Strong knowledge of construction practices and Building Codes;
- Any degrees or formal training in architecture/engineering will be considered a plus.
More About BuildX Studio
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognize and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever changing end user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.