Reporting to: Project Architect
Salary: Negotiable based on experience.
Experience: 5+ years professional experience
Employment Type: Full-time employment
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX Studio sees a world where all buildings are radically better: buildings that are net zero carbon, more equitably designed, and enhance quality of life and wellbeing.
BuildX is a design-build-develop B Corporation incorporated in Nairobi, Kenya, in 2016. We leverage our capabilities in architecture, engineering and construction to identify and create real estate projects which set radically better examples for social and environmental impact.
Following a Theory of Change approach, we build partnerships to package these innovations for replication at scale, transforming the way we build and its impact on people and our planet.
As a Draftsperson you will be a key part of our Design department. You will contribute to structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing designs. This is a highly technical role requiring extensive familiarity with design principles and computer-aided drafting technologies to ensure that drawings are accurate and present the necessary information required projects. You will be to go-to person for every drawing from the designers and will be the keeper of all drawings, who sees sketches become drawings that ultimately become construction documents.
You will work on some of our exciting new projects, including an affordable housing pilot project and a mixed-use urban farming concept for Nairobi.
How we Design
Our approach is rooted in human-centred and sustainable design principles, from project inception through to construction. It starts with listening intently and getting to know the people and the place we’re designing for. Without this knowledge, we wouldn’t know what to design, how it should work, or why it matters.
From there we design, build, test, and innovate until we get it right, bringing our unique design-build model to life. Unlike other architecture, engineering or construction firms, we have all professions working side-by-side from the very beginning. We design with the detailed insight of experienced builders and we build with the careful precision of designers.
We’re looking for innovators, systems thinkers and creative talents. We want to hear from people inspired and driven to change the world.
There are some key skills and qualities that are a must-have for this role:
1. A creator of high-quality detailed technical drawings and plans based on designs provided by architects and designers;
2. Resourceful, independent, and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure;
3. Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, including working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
4. Details-oriented, well-organised, collaborative and proactive in completing work accurately and meeting deadlines;
5. Strong English-language communication skills, both spoken and written;
6. An appetite for creativity and entrepreneurship in development of new ideas and out of the box projects;
7. An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills;
8. Passionate about the social and environmental impact of buildings, and empowering women in construction.
In addition to the above, we’ll get very excited by candidates with expertise and experience in:
• Green Buildings – knowledge in sustainable and green design;
• Experience using a variety of CAD and Revit software programmes;
• Human-Centred Design – how to design with the building users at the centre;
• Designing with Mass Timber – it’s a key material for us in our current projects
You’ll probably have a degree and we’ll certainly look at it, however, experience and a point of difference is what matters most to us. As a guide, however, we expect candidates to have at least 5 years of relevant experience.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is of the greatest importance to us. At BuildX we celebrate our diverse team and welcome all applicants warmly.
Our Commitment to You
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever changing end user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.