Role: Environmental Designer
Reporting to: Senior Architect
Salary: Negotiable based on experience.
Employment Type: Full-time employment.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya.
BuildX is a design-build-develop B Corporation incorporated in Nairobi, Kenya. We see a world where all buildings are radically better: buildings that are net zero carbon, more equitably designed, and enhance quality of life and wellbeing.
As an Environmental Designer, you will be responsible for and provide support to the preparation of exceptional architectural designs and the execution of projects on budget, to schedule and meeting client and impact expectations. In addition, you will be one of our key champions for environmental design, supporting all our projects to achieve our sustainability and user comfort targets, carrying out simulations and measuring the impact our buildings have on people and planet.
How we Design
Our approach is rooted in human-centred and sustainable design principles, from project inception through to construction. It starts with listening intently and getting to know the people and the place we’re designing for. Without this knowledge, we wouldn’t know what to design, how it should work, or why it matters.
From there we design, build, test, and innovate until we get it right, bringing our unique design-build model to life. Unlike other architecture, engineering or construction firms, we have all professions working side-by-side from the very beginning. We design with the detailed insight of experienced builders and we build with the careful precision of designers.
We’re looking for innovators, systems thinkers and creative talents. We want to hear from people inspired and driven to change the world.
There are some key skills and qualities that are a must-have for this role:
1. High level of creative design talent, including the ability to think outside of the norm and challenge the status quo;
2. Resourceful, independent, and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure.
3. Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, including working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
4. Details-oriented, well-organised, collaborative and proactive in completing work accurately and meeting deadlines;
5. Strong English-language communication skills, both spoken and written;
6. An appetite for creativity and entrepreneurship in development of new ideas and out of the box projects;
7. An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills;
8. Passionate about the social and environmental impact of buildings, and empowering women in construction
In addition to the above, we’ll expect our Environmental Designer to be knowledgeable in the required simulation softwares to carry out light and heat gain analyses, (wind simulation considered a bonus), as well as having a good understanding of how to analyse light, heat, wind, ventilation, air quality and noise.
You’ll probably have a degree and we’ll certainly look at it, however, experience and a point of difference is what matters most to us. As a guide, however, we expect candidates to have at least 3 years of relevant experience.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is of the greatest importance to us. At BuildX we celebrate our diverse team and welcome all applicants warmly.
Our Commitment to You
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognize and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever changing end user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.
P.O. Box 24504