Role: Finance Director
Reporting to: CEO
Benefits: Extensive Healthcare Insurance (incl. family cover) and Flexi-Leave Policy
Growth Opportunities: Periodic further training opportunities available
Experience: 15+ years professional experience with relevant finance-related degree and MBA or similar business experience in built environment and real estate development industries
Employment Type: Part-time permanent role, increasing to full-time (exact details to be agreed), with 6mo. probation
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX Studio envisions a world made for people and planet by creating the buildings of a radically better tomorrow.
BuildX Studio is looking to hire a new Finance Director to drive financial leadership and strategy, company growth and fundraising, and accountability across financial management controls and systems. You must be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills and executive-level experience. You should be motivated to work within a dynamic and challenging start-up environment alongside a diverse team driven by a shared social purpose.
The Finance Director should be a strategic pragmatist, unafraid to create a vision and strategy for financial growth, and then roll their sleeves up and get to work. We are looking for someone with tenacity and grit, unafraid to challenge the business. Candidates should have minimum 15 years’ professional experience and at least 3 years at an executive management level. The role will require you to be willing to travel in connection with our work across Kenya and more widely for fundraising and other executive duties.
In addition to our design-build services, BuildX is expanding its business model to include real estate development. In line with this new strategy, we are seeking a Finance Director with substantial experience in real estate financing, building and handling investment partnerships, and leading BuildX’s financial strategy across each development project. The greatest priority of this role is real estate finance and investment experience (incl. financial modelling and fundraising).
Our business model is unique and demands driven and creative leadership. This role is not for the faint-hearted, and will be a highly demanding and challenging position. Yet, it will also be one of the most rewarding and satisfying jobs you will be likely to ever take on.
Please give careful consideration to your ability to give the time, resilience, motivation and expertise which this role requires before applying. Thank you.
The ideal candidate will have:
• High personal integrity, trustworthiness and reliability;
• Experience in similar level management and executive leadership. Financial leadership experience within the built environment or real estate development industries is strongly preferred;
• An understanding of all facets of financial management and strategy;
• Strong problem-solving skills and proven ability to proactively foresee and mitigate challenges, problems and risks;
• A rigorous details-oriented mindset, able to perform at a high level with complex challenges and unafraid of getting their hands dirty.
• Demonstrable aptitude for clear and prompt decision-making within a challenging and pressured environment;
• Substantial experience in enterprise risk management systems and driving compliance and accountability across all company departments, not just finance;
• Knowledge of the investment (incl. impact investment and real estate investment) landscape and a proven track record in successfully initiating, structuring, negotiating and closing investment deals;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and charisma, including leading and working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
• Demonstrable track record of building effective, motivated and organised teams;
• Strong communications skills, both written and verbal;
• Solid financial analysis and financial modelling skills. An understanding of the nuances of construction and real estate finance and budgets is required;
• Trained in commonly used industry software (e.g. MS Excel, Quickbooks, SAP, CCS etc.) and an aptitude for learning new software;
• Strong organisational skills with an ordered and disciplined approach to both personal and team document management and reporting;
• Strategic thinking abilities including being able to seamlessly move between the detailed and the “bigger picture”.
• Lead the finance (accounting) team to provide real-time accurate financial and business performance analyses, insights and reports to the CEO and the Board to enable effective and informed decision-making;
• Quickly develop a detailed and nuanced understanding of the company’s business model, operations and strategy, and ensure proactive action and critical input based on the key levers of success within our model;
• Aggressively manage the financial performance of the company to ensure the company achieves investor targets and project goals relative to growth and profitability;
• Initiate, structure, negotiate and close fundraising of working capital and project-level investments based on company requirements and strategy;
• Initiate, structure, negotiate and close off-take partnerships on real estate development projects;
• Take ownership over and demand the strictest levels of compliance and engagement with all company systems and controls to ensure the successful performance of our services and uphold a culture of accurate, clear and transparent communication and reporting at all levels;
• Regularly evaluate internal financial risk management systems and ensure the highest levels of control and risk planning;
• Lead internal audits, to evidence and drive performance and accountability;
• Monitor the company’s cash flows to ensure financial stability and growth;
• Oversee the annual audit process and ensure full and timely compliance with all statutory obligations;
• Build financial models for company operations, strategy and projects, particularly new real estate development ventures or other strategic initiatives, and advise on financial risk and opportunity factors;
• Manage, mentor and supervise the finance team and, where possible, other company staff to build their capacity, confidence and knowledge, and to build a high-functioning and motivated team;
• Set comprehensive goals for staff performance and growth, and uphold clear reporting, data capture and measurement structures;
• Regularly analyze internal operations and identify areas of financial management enhancement;
• Support the strategic development of the company, developing budgets and providing guidance to the CEO on financial and wider company strategy;
• Support the preparation and control of project bids;
• Contribute towards business development, as an ambassador and winner of work for the company (a shared responsibility for all Directors);
• Pro-actively embrace and promote BuildX Studio’s company culture and values both internally and externally;
• Uphold and support BuildX Studio’s social mission and demonstrate commitment to ensuring social impact goals are met across the organisation, including to Buildher (our sister organisation) by advocating for and driving increased female representation across all of our workforce.
Desired Candidate Profile
• Minimum 15 years’ professional experience in a financial or related role and at least 3 years at an executive level, in the built environment or real estate development industry;
• Degree qualification in relevant finance or related degree and a MBA (or otherwise demonstrate considerable business experience);
• Proven track record in investment fundraising;
• Willing and able to live in Nairobi and travel as required within
Kenya and overseas;
• Experience working in East Africa or in other similar contexts will be considered a bonus;
• Passionate about social and environmental impact, and empowering women;
• Resourceful, independent and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure;
• Registration with a relevant professional board or body will be considered a bonus.
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.