Role: Impact Lead
Reporting to: CEO
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Experience: 5+ years professional experience with relevant project-related experience.
Employment Type: Part Time/ Consultancy (negotiable) with possibility of full-time employment
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX is a design-build-develop B Corporation incorporated in Nairobi, Kenya. We see a world where all buildings are radically better: buildings that are net zero carbon, more equitably designed, and enhance quality of life and wellbeing.
The Impact Lead will develop BuildX’s impact monitoring, evaluation and learning, alongside research, storytelling and funding.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL)
BuildX is in the process of ramping up our efforts to measure impact, in line with a newly developed Theory of Change. As Impact Lead you will be responsible for owning and developing this ToC and creating a framework for data collection, research and analysis to both inform current and future strategy and also to improve understanding of performance to date. You will also be responsible for managing data quality assessments, assessing the quality of indicators, and facilitating learning events, alongside supporting the wider team to operationalise impact within day-to-day activities. Experience in environmental building science will be advantageous as you will need to delve into embodied carbon factors and other technical data.
Our work is mostly project-based and it is critical that we ensure accurate insights into the social, environmental and wider context within which we operate. You will carry out a diverse array of research activities, including market studies, post-occupancy evaluations and supporting groundbreaking new innovations in thinking and practice.
Our data and research has value beyond the numbers. It has the power to change behaviours and catalyse widespread change. You will work with our Marketing & Communications Manager to develop compelling impact stories, case studies and media.
You will support the identification, proposal writing and management of new funding applications and opportunities, as well as impact reporting to current funders.
We’re looking for innovators, systems thinkers and storytellers. We want to hear from people inspired and driven to change the world.
There are some key skills and qualities that are a must-have for this role:
• Strong English-language skills, both verbal and written, with an aptitude for telling a gripping story;
• A rigorous details-oriented mindset, and a methodical approach to work, able to think through complex problems and systems, and unafraid of getting their hands dirty;
• Proven MEL and academic research skills with a strong knowledge of MEL methodologies across both quantitative and qualitative research;
• Experienced with data management and analysis;
• Resourceful, independent, and proactive self-starter, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure within a new function at BuildX;
• High personal integrity, trustworthiness, and reliability;
• Understanding of development funding and the social entrepeneurship ecosystem;
• Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, including leading and working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
• Passionate about social and environmental impact, and empowering women.
In addition to the above, we’ll get very excited by candidates with expertise and experience in:
• Green Buildings – their embodied carbon impacts to their health and wellbeing benefits;
• Climate Change Science – why our planet is suffering and the ideas to save it;
• Forests & Ecosystems – the potential for trees and wood products to draw down carbon;
• Gender Issues – the importance of gender equity and inclusion in development and change.
You might have a degree and we’ll certainly look at it, however, experience and a point of difference is what matters most to us. As a guide, we expect candidates to have at least 5 years of relevant experience.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is of the greatest importance to us. At BuildX we celebrate our diverse team and welcome all applicants warmly.
Our Commitment to You
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognize and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever changing end user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to email@example.com. In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.