Role: Project Architect
Reporting to: Senior Architect
Salary: Negotiable based on experience.
Experience: 6 years professional experience.
Employment Type: Full-time employment, three months probation.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX is a gender-lens design-build-develop B Corporation working towards a world where all buildings are radically better: buildings that are net zero carbon, more equitably designed, and enhance quality of life and wellbeing.
As a Project Architect, you will be a key part of our Design department.
As a Project Architect, you are key part of our Design Department. You are responsible for the preparation of exceptional architectural designs and the execution of projects on budget, on schedule and meeting client and impact expectations. You also provide support across other departments, including the innovation, construction and the developer departments, actively contributing to the company’s overall effectiveness and success.
1. Create architectural and technical designs, coordinating project teams and external consultants and providing expertise and direction in the development of drawings and specifications;
2. Create feasibility studies for early-stage projects, analysing the project’s viability to ensure that the project’s vision, budget, operations and schedule is fully aligned before starting with project design;
3. Drive and maintain exceptional standards of performance across all projects assigned to you, in particular against four key pillars: cost, quality, time and people;
4. Manage the financial performance and accountability of design projects assigned to you, to ensure the company achieves their targets and project goals relative to growth and profitability;
5. Identify and address issues affecting project delivery, budget, construction costs, schedule, and any risk management issues for the projects assigned to you and the company in general;
6. Liaise and maintain communications with project clients, professional consultants and any other individuals or groups involved in each project;
7. Negotiate and oversee the preparation of contracts and sub-contracts for design projects, as well as overseeing contract administration of projects;
8. Ensure compliance and alignment of all design projects assigned to you with BuildX Studio’s mission, creative process and values;
9. Ensure compliance with Kenyan regulations and codes, having a strong understanding of quality standards and sector due diligence;
10. Contribute towards identifying and winning work from new clients, and lead the preparation and control of design proposals;
11. Contribute towards analysing internal operations and projects’ lessons learned, identifying areas of process and performance enhancement;
We’re looking for innovators, systems thinkers and creative talents. We want to hear from people inspired and driven to change the world.
There are some key skills and qualities that are a must-have for this role:
1. High level of creative design talent, including the ability to think outside of the norm and challenge the status quo;
2. Resourceful, independent, and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure.
3. Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, including working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
4. Details-oriented, well-organised, collaborative and proactive in completing work accurately and meeting deadlines;
5. Strong English-language communication skills, both spoken and written;
6. An appetite for creativity and entrepreneurship in development of new ideas and out of the box projects;
7. An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills;
8. Passionate about the social and environmental impact of buildings, and empowering women in construction.
In addition to the above, we’ll get very excited by candidates with expertise and experience in:
• Green Buildings – knowledge in sustainable and green design;
• Human-Centred Design – how to design with the building users at the centre;
• Designing with Mass Timber – it’s a key material for us in our current projects.
You’ll probably have a degree and we’ll certainly look at it, however, experience and a point of difference is what matters most to us. As a guide, however, we expect candidates to have at least 6 years of relevant experience. Local candidates preferred.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is of the greatest importance to us. At BuildX we celebrate our diverse team and welcome all applicants warmly.
Our Commitment to You
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognize and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever changing end user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to email@example.com. In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.