Role: Project Architect
Reporting to: Head of Design
Salary: Negotiable based on experience.
Experience: 6+ years of professional experience.
Employment Type: Full-time employment, three months probation.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
BuildX is a gender-lens design-build-develop B Corporation working towards a world where all buildings are radically better: buildings that are net-zero carbon, more equitably designed, and enhance the quality of life and wellbeing.
As a Project Architect, you will be a key part of our Design Team leadership.
As a Project Architect, you are a key part of our Design Team leadership. You are responsible for leading projects and driving forward exceptional architectural design quality. You will also lead the execution of projects on budget, on schedule and meeting client and impact expectations. You also provide support across other departments, including innovation, construction and real estate development, actively contributing to the our overall social and environmental mission.
You will work on some of our exciting new projects, including an affordable housing pilot project and a large-scale eco-development on the Kenyan coast.
How we Design
Our approach is rooted in human-centred and sustainable design principles, from project inception through to construction. It starts with listening intently and getting to know the people and the place we’re designing for. Without this knowledge, we wouldn’t know what to design, how it should work, or why it matters.
From there we design, build, test, and innovate until we get it right, bringing our unique design-build model to life. Unlike other architecture, engineering or construction firms, we have all professions working side-by-side from the very beginning. We design with the detailed insight of experienced builders and we build with the careful precision of designers.
We’re looking for innovators, systems thinkers and creative talents. We want to hear from people inspired and driven to change the world.
There are some key skills and qualities that are a must-have for this role:
1. Leadership and project management experience and skills, including leading a team of designers and engineers;
2. Site and contractor supervision experience;
3. High level of creative and technical design talent, including the ability to think outside of the norm and challenge the status quo;
4. Resourceful, independent, and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure.
5. Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, including working with others from different cultural backgrounds;
6. Details-oriented, well-organised, collaborative and proactive in completing work accurately and meeting deadlines;
7. Strong English-language communication skills, both spoken and written;
8. An appetite for creativity and entrepreneurship in the development of new ideas and projects;
9. An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills;
10. Passionate about social/environmental impact, and empowering women in construction.
In addition to the above, we’ll get very excited by candidates with expertise and experience in;
• Green Buildings – knowledge in sustainable and green design;
• Human-Centred Design – how to design with the users at the centre;
• Designing with Mass Timber – it’s a key material for us in our current projects.
You’ll probably have a degree and we’ll certainly look at it, however, experience and a point of difference is what matters most to us. As a guide, however, we expect candidates to have at least 6 years of relevant experience.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are of the greatest importance to us. At BuildX we celebrate our diverse team and welcome all applicants warmly.
Our Commitment to You
BuildX Studio is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do not discriminate, and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. Join us and you will find yourself in an environment where innovation, inspiration and creativity are second nature. You will be surrounded by industry leaders and curious, ambitious colleagues – working together to develop the business in line with ever-changing end-user needs.
Please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio if relevant to email@example.com. In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.